Schools are breeding grounds for the flu virus since students, teachers and staff are in close proximity to each other every day. Fortunately, there are simple steps to help slow the spread of flu in schools.
Below are tips on how to slow the spread of flu specifically through cleaning and disinfecting.
1. Know the Difference Between Cleaning, Disinfecting and Sanitizing
– Cleaning removes germs, dirt and impurities from objects and surfaces. Cleaning works by using soap and water to physically remove dirt and germs from surfaces. While cleaning does not kill germs, it lowers their numbers and reduces the risk of spreading infection.
– Disinfecting kills germs on objects and surfaces. Unlike simply cleaning, disinfecting works by using chemicals to kill the germs. This process does not actually clean dirty surfaces, but kills germs on a surface after cleaning. By killing germs on a surface after cleaning, disinfecting can further reduce the risk of spreading infection.
– Sanitizing lowers the number of germs on surfaces or objects to a safe level, as judged by public health standards or requirements. This process works by either cleaning or disinfecting to lower the risk of spreading infection.
2. Pay Close Attention to “Touch Points”
Your school should have a clear procedure for routine cleaning and disinfecting. This usually means daily sanitizing surfaces and objects that are touched often, such as desks, countertops, doorknobs, faucets, handrails, computer keyboards, lunch trays, phones and toys.
3. Keep Up On Routine Cleaning and Disinfecting
Your professional cleaning company should perform routine cleaning and disinfecting, and clean a particular area to match the types of germs you need to remove or kill. The flu virus can live and potentially infect a person for only 2 to 8 hours after being transferred onto a surface. Routine cleaning and disinfecting can help to slow the spread.
To help make sure your school facility provides the healthiest and cleanest environment for your students and staff, make sure you call the cleaning experts at OctoClean. Contact our office today at 1-888-540-0828 for more information on our school cleaning services.